Sunday 22 December 2013

Maturity in Christ Part 4 - Merry Christmas



I have an early memory of being given a  Christmas tree ornament as a very young child. I remember it still, we were headed out the door visiting someone my parents knew, and she handed me a bright red round and shiny Christmas ball ornament.

 I was delighted and straight away bit into it to everyone's horror, and I remember crying....

A couple of years ago I asked my mom about this incident. I asked if she remembered it, and if I had to go to the hospital for cuts to my lips and mouth. She said...
"Susan, you must have dreamed it because it never happened". A dream...but it seemed SO real!

I've again been thinking about that incident lately, as Christmas approaches. Christmas tree ornaments can look so beautiful, and even have the appearance of looking delicious. Yet they are glass, or nowadays, some kind of plastic, and not edible at all. They never grew on any real tree for they are not real fruit, just empty, shiny baubles meant only to please the eyes. This reminds me of another fruit, even longer ago, in a perfect garden. Our great-great-great.......etc, grandmother Eve was warned of the danger of this fruit, but because it looked so delightful, and delicious, and imagined it would make her wise, she bit into it with enormous consequences that effected all of God's creation.

This memory also serves to remind me of the glitz and sparkles of what money and worldly fame can bring. However this beauty and glamour  is only pretty on the surface. Eventually the beauty fades, and the sparkles lose their shine, and the false friends leave when the money runs out, and wrinkles replace what was once beautiful, flawless, supple skin. If there still is money left, plastic surgeons will gladly try to stretch those wrinkles out to try to hold that image of youth and beauty just a little bit longer, and yet, it can never recapture that fresh beauty of youth. 

The Bible warns us:

1Timothy 2:8-10  I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling;  likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness--with good works. (ESV)

I still enjoy seeing the lights this time of year, and the decorations and beautiful gowns worn by the bells of the balls at Christmas events. I listen to "Christmas music" and join with others as they celebrate "Christmas cheer". I don't agree with those who withdraw from everything to live somber lives of zero myrth, living like hermits. I see these things, and enjoy seeing them, yet all the while I realize the lessons in these things. I see them with eyes made new by the Spirit of God, who teaches me in all things, giving God thanks always for the lessons they hold for me. 

I don't hold to the notion that Jesus was born on December 25th, or even in winter...If that was indeed when He was born it really doesn't matter anyway. What does matter is that He was born here into His own creation. Someone immortal became mortal so He could live amongst us. What a wonderful God we serve.

Merry CHRISTmas to all...and remember that the reason Jesus came was to leave...and come again :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Susan,
    Lol!! I had one of those real dreams too when I was 4. I dreamed I was superman and I could fly. Haha, I tried for years and years to fly but just couldn't do it. I gave up when I was around 18 or so, but even to this day that dream felt so real. :)

    Merry Christmas Susan.

    Blessings,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All these years I thought it really happened...I'm still not sure that maybe my mom forgot what really happened, although I cannot imagine EVER forgetting it if it happened to one of my daughters. Sigh. Guess I have to accept it. :)

      Merry Christmas Child of God. <3

      Delete
  2. Hi Susan,
    Just stopping by to say Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    Blessings,
    <><

    ReplyDelete


Please be as gracious as you would like others to be to you. Thank you :)




Please try to keep your comments on the topic of the post you are commenting on.

If there is a link to an article or podcast, or if there is an embedded video please view these before airing your views on the posting. If you clearly did not watch video/read link I may choose to not respond to it ...particularly if you have a question that is already answered on link or video.

Opposing viewpoints are of course allowed here as long as the conversation remains civil. If it runs on and on and becomes burdensome and repetitive I will probably lock the comments on that posting. Thank you, I hope we can grow together in a true friendship as God would have it. 🙂