Saturday 15 February 2014

Love and Marriage

Yesterday was Valentine's Day, and it was also my last day at the hospital where I've been working for the past 7 1/2 years. I've so been looking forward to leaving that job, it was a tough job that put a lot of strain on my joints and back. It was getting more difficult each day to drag my tired aching body out of bed to get ready for another day of back-breaking activity. And yet, saying goodbye to everyone was bittersweet, and my husband laughed at me when after just an hour of having left that job for the last time, I was lamenting that I was going to miss everyone, after months of hearing me complain of how much I desired to leave. Oh the irony.

While cleaning my locker out yesterday, I carefully removed a piece of paper that was taped to the inside of the locker when I first "moved in". I decided I would make a copy of it and leave the copy so I could take this wonderful page (looks to be a copy out of a devotional booklet) which contained so much wisdom; that way I could have it always. The next occupant of that locker might decide to throw it away if he or she desires and yet I can have this one as a keepsake.

This is what it says:

THE MIRACLE OF MARRIAGE

Read: Matthew 19:1-8

Adam said: "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh." Genesis 2:23

   When Pastor Howard Sugden performed the wedding ceremony for my husband and me, he emphasized that we were participating in a miracle. We believed him, but we didn't comprehend the size of the miracle needed to hold two people together; much less become one.

   After 20 years, I realize that the marriage, not the wedding, was the real miracle. Anyone can have a wedding, but only God can create a marriage.

   One definition of wed is "to cause to adhere devotedly or stubbornly." For some couples, "stubborn" is a more accurate description of their relationship than "devoted." 

   God has in mind something much better for us than a stubborn refusal to divorce. The union of marriage is so strong that we become "one flesh." God wants marriage to be the way it was when He first created Eve from Adam (Genesis 2:21-24). That's what Jesus was explaining to the Pharisees when they asked Him, "is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for just any reason?" (Matthew 19:3). Jesus replied, "A man shall...be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh" (v.5). 

   To pledge your life to another is indeed an act of faith that requires belief in miracles. Thankfully, God is in the business of creating marriages. -- Julie Ackerman Link

The marriage bond that Joins two hearts
   No power on earth can break
If they commit their lives to Christ
   And of His love partake.  -- D. De Haan

A happy marriage is a union of two good forgivers.



Hope you had a wonderful Valentines Day as well. 

6 comments:

  1. Thank your for your article, I really appreciate your emphasis on the importance of marriage, and the difference between a wedding and a marriage. Here is a link for an article I think you will enjoy about marital relationships. http://goo.gl/4mGIYD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your retirement! Beautiful words of wisdom for marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Change is always hard, even when we are looking forward to it. Yes, so many people are stubbornly married and not devoted. It is such a good reminder. Happy Late Valentine's Day. Hope you had a happy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura,

      So true about change and about our stubbornness. It must be very difficult for you right now, and am praying for you continually because the Lord continually brings you to my mind. We never know how He (our true husband) uses all these things to grow us and bring greater love and understanding to us, treasures we will have forever in His kingdom (Romans 8:28)

      Delete


Please be as gracious as you would like others to be to you. Thank you :)




Please try to keep your comments on the topic of the post you are commenting on.

If there is a link to an article or podcast, or if there is an embedded video please view these before airing your views on the posting. If you clearly did not watch video/read link I may choose to not respond to it ...particularly if you have a question that is already answered on link or video.

Opposing viewpoints are of course allowed here as long as the conversation remains civil. If it runs on and on and becomes burdensome and repetitive I will probably lock the comments on that posting. Thank you, I hope we can grow together in a true friendship as God would have it. 🙂