Tuesday 5 April 2011

Nothing New Under the Sun


 The past few days there has been alot of hoopla over some metal plates that were found in Jordan..(or was it Egypt?) a few years ago (or was it 100 years ago?) It seems those who are leaking this "news story" can't get their facts in order.

I want to thank Matermuse for getting me started in the right direction on this. Her thoughts and links led me to more links. I share her Youtube video at the bottom of this blog entry.


According to "Curious Presbyterian", David Elinkgton wrote to Dr Thonemann this letter
which CP got at this link 

That Dr Thonemann letter is also here, with added comments at the bottom that are worth the read, if you are truly interested in this topic.

Christianity Today quoted  Larry Hurtado who is Professor of New Testament Language, Literature & Theology and Director of the Centre for the Study of Christian Origins at the University of Edinburgh:

"I'm impatient with people who go to the press and claim that they have something of enormous scholarly value and do not provide the materials for independent scholarly analysis. Controlling access to information is not how we do business in scholarship." (emphasis in bold added by me)
Christianity Today link

Seattle Examiner also suspects these to be forgeries: Examiner article link

This blogger thinks it was a very funny April Fool's joke: Lead tablets deciphered



 ...and here's another link:forgeries

Sigh....remember the P.T. Barnum saying? "There's a sucker born every minute"

P.T. Barnum (now dead) isn't the only one who has counted on making money on that fact. As the time of Jesus return draws nearer there will be plenty of deceptions to try to draw us away from keeping our eyes on the truth...and many people will fall for it, unfortunately.

5 comments:

  1. I loved the April fool's joke one.

    I will be keeping an ear out for when this guy is coming back on C2C to tell the things he "can't talk about yet."

    And like I commented over at my blog I truly believe that the cannon is CLOSED, but to those who don't this could prove to be a big deception.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Herrmann U. Tichs" lol...

    I agree with you that the cannon is closed, and I also think many will be deceived, and that even we might be seduced to want to believe it, but that the Holy Spirit will override that and show us clearly truth from error, and won't let us be completely taken in the deception...but I believe it will be so convincing that without the Holy Spirit it would be impossible to not fall for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it musemater or matermuse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you posted this,the media is constantly bombarding the public,with one crazy story after another! Blessings jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anonymous,

    It's Matermuse, thanks! I fixed it.

    Hi Jane,

    There's so much mis(dis?)information, and any real news isn't being told to us. This is such a strange world, and it keeps getting stranger.

    ReplyDelete


Please be as gracious as you would like others to be to you. Thank you :)




Please try to keep your comments on the topic of the post you are commenting on.

If there is a link to an article or podcast, or if there is an embedded video please view these before airing your views on the posting. If you clearly did not watch video/read link I may choose to not respond to it ...particularly if you have a question that is already answered on link or video.

Opposing viewpoints are of course allowed here as long as the conversation remains civil. If it runs on and on and becomes burdensome and repetitive I will probably lock the comments on that posting. Thank you, I hope we can grow together in a true friendship as God would have it. 🙂