Sunday 3 April 2011

Religion or Relationship?




It's been on my mind alot lately, the difference between these two. Many people see no difference at all, and view being "religious" being the same thing as being "saved". And many people believe all that is required is to just simply "be good". Really? And what does being "good" really involve? That is so vague because "good" is a word that means something different to each of us individually.

Jesus said: "none is good, save one, that is, God. " (Luke 18:19)

Do we accept what Jesus says on that topic of "good"ness? Even though I know Jesus speaks the Truth, I still swerve in and out of what I think about the word "good" . I want to be "good". I try to be "good". Am I "good"? I want to think that I am, but the truth is Jesus says I'm not. The only "good" in me is any goodness He has put there.

So what about religion...is religion "good". Many would say "Not just ANY religion, but MY religion is good."

Really? Why is YOUR religion "good"?

The New Testament says this about religion:

Jam 1:26  If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
Jam 1:27  Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this:
1.To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, 
and
2. to keep himself unspotted from the world.

The first part of James recommendation is easy enough to do...and yet how many of us do that every day....or even once a week? The second part of that is, well, it's impossible I reckon...without constant washing in Christ's blood (which was shed once for all sin). I know I continually get dirty, so based on MY WORKS, I am doomed.

But, you might say, if it's CHRISTIAN it must be "good" ...right? Well, if you think that going to church saves you, maybe your church is not as "good" as you think!  No church is able to save you, only Jesus can do that...and if your church has you thinking that by attending there you are guaranteed salvation through your working it out with them....think again.

So then where do you think all the religious rules on how to become "good" came from? If they didn't come from God, I'll let you figure out where they DID come from.



2 comments:

  1. You know sometimes I am grateful that He allowed me to fall into sin (and in an obvious way to me) so that I could really receive the GOOD NEWS!

    I know some 'religious' people that really do think that all you need to do is this or that religious formula and all is well, but I wonder if they KNOW they need a Savior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ma,

    In my life I've noticed there's a huge difference between my SAYING that I believe something, and ACTUALLY BELIEVING. (Mark 9:24)

    I agree with the obvious sin being a blessing...one that is like a painful thorn, a constant reminder, in my case. I realize Jesus paid a very high price to take care of it for me, however I still am pained by my memories.

    Psalm ch 32 :-)

    ReplyDelete


Please be as gracious as you would like others to be to you. Thank you :)




Please try to keep your comments on the topic of the post you are commenting on.

If there is a link to an article or podcast, or if there is an embedded video please view these before airing your views on the posting. If you clearly did not watch video/read link I may choose to not respond to it ...particularly if you have a question that is already answered on link or video.

Opposing viewpoints are of course allowed here as long as the conversation remains civil. If it runs on and on and becomes burdensome and repetitive I will probably lock the comments on that posting. Thank you, I hope we can grow together in a true friendship as God would have it. 🙂