Wednesday 30 July 2014

False Christians

There are many false Christians just as there were many false followers of Jesus in the times of the apostles. Many of the Pharisees and Sadducees were false as were most of the huge crowds that followed Jesus. We see from John 6:66 that most people only wanted immediate gratification. In yesterday's post I discussed Beth Moore. She teaches "that kind" of Jesus, the kind that will give you all the goodies if you will believe that He will. She is one of many false teachers leading people astray. But the Bible warns that people want their ears tickled with this kind of garbage, so the responsibility of her error lies partially with her listeners. 

 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;  And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. 2 Timothy 4:3-4 (KJV)

We see that happening more and more, don't we?


But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.   And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. and through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not. 2 Peter 2:1-3 (KJV)

These people...do they honestly believe that they are teaching the things the Lord wants them to teach? Have they truly sought Him for the truth and diligently studied all of God's word so they would speak truly of Him? What does Jesus say?

 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?   And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Matthew 7:21-23 (KJV)


When I read these warnings I do not say to myself:  

"These don't apply to me...get thee behind me satan for trying to lie to me".

Instead, I say and have always said:
 "Jesus I hope that these are not words you will have to speak to me when I see You, however, if you say them to me I know that in all things You are truthful and pray for your forgiveness. Help me through my stubbornness, remove this guilty stain from me I pray that You in Your mercy and goodness remove my guilt so that I won't be among the many You say will be rejected...yet IF I am rejected, I know it would be a right decision. I deserve hell. It would be a blessing and mercy to be forgiven, and not in any way deserved."

Let us not build a life on the sinking sand of self pity or self-confidence or self-anything where we think the things we do will be our saving grace. Let us instead acknowledge our lack, our fallenness, our depravity, agreeing with Jesus that without His intervention we are destined for hell. Nothing we can do can outdo our sin debt. Only the blood of Christ can pay the payment for our crimes (even if these crimes were only in our thoughts and never reach the actual doing stage, Jesus said if we even thought them we are guilty of them---face the truth: our sins are many and they are terrible) which we can never pay we can only accept His gift of forgiveness in humble gratitude.

So stop following false teachers with your itching ears to find another way. There is no other way. Humble yourself before Jesus while there is still time.


No comments:

Post a Comment


Please be as gracious as you would like others to be to you. Thank you :)




Please try to keep your comments on the topic of the post you are commenting on.

If there is a link to an article or podcast, or if there is an embedded video please view these before airing your views on the posting. If you clearly did not watch video/read link I may choose to not respond to it ...particularly if you have a question that is already answered on link or video.

Opposing viewpoints are of course allowed here as long as the conversation remains civil. If it runs on and on and becomes burdensome and repetitive I will probably lock the comments on that posting. Thank you, I hope we can grow together in a true friendship as God would have it. 🙂