Monday 30 September 2019

Wanting Recognition, Afterthoughts


My recent problems with blogging voiced in the last two posts before this one brought this comment from Brenda:


“Hi Susan, I believe that whatever we have been given to share brings glory to the Lord, and I usually state this if people say nice things about what I might have shared on my blog. There is no way I could claim credit for what I have written, as even the poems and songs that I have shared just dropped into my head after I became born again of God's Spirit. I believe absolutely that it is God that speaks through us, and that is His way of bringing all to Himself. All glory goes to God the Father and His wonderful Son Jesus, we have nothing to boast of. I always like to know who I am interacting with though. God bless.”

The first portion is for me a “no brainer”...absolutely it is for the Lord’s glory that I live at all, and if I do share anything truly good, wholesome, and true, it is because His truth resides in me.

The last thought in that comment, wanting to know who we are interacting with in comments, is an interesting and important facet to this “internet world” puzzle. Yes it is Jesus who inspires anything truly good and truly True or truthful of course, yet we want to ascribe a name or personality to a person who is conveying words to us in our online conversations....and there are some things about this that I want to consider.

The first is that aside from what people reveal about themselves in their blogs and comments, unless we know them personally in real life, as a close friend or family member, we still do not REALLY know them. We get a feeling of knowing them, or knowing about them, and yet how well do we really? Often we do not really even know people we are in some physical contact with such as work situations or the other interactions that we have with people on a regular basis. The contacts with online personalities are even more disconnected in some ways. This fact has led people to unfortunate situations in online relationships, as I was recently reminded of in a situation that occurred in a Facebook group in which I have contributed posting  and some moderator functions.

How much do we truly know except the perhaps half truths or even outright lies the other person might be telling...Facebook and other online groups can only do so much to police these things, and those who are telling the whole truth (hopefully that is the case for the majority of online posters? Maybe, but who really knows?) can be looked at with suspicion and possibly be blocked or removed by Facebook or Google or Twitter, etc, because of suspicions caused by similar actions, seemingly anyway, that puts everyone in a bad light.

I don’t know if perhaps my little blog is somehow a casualty of the trouble caused by the somewhat anonymity of blogging. Or perhaps I have somehow been hacked and that being the reason for the problems I am now experiencing. These possibilities  makes me uncertain of how much longer I can even post here at all, I have the feeling of being removed from Blogger bit by bit, and don’t really know why. These online platforms seem to be disintegrating into who knows what? Or maybe I’m reading too much into this?

But if you, like me, have been paying attention to what is happening to computing, and online scamming, and the desire for greater “online security”, in light of many other things going on today, it just makes me a little bit uneasy to consider the many possibilities of the direction this all can go.

In the meantime I shall continue to try to plug along here as long as I can, and answer comments as much as I can, given my current restrictions. AND I must not forget to also say that I am very grateful for my identity in Christ. Having that anchor when all of these other means of identifying myself are becoming so skewed, it is a blessing to have that anchor and solid foundation which cannot be moved nor removed.


2 comments:

  1. My first and foremost response is to do all things. for the Glory of God. In the end, nothing else really matters. As for needing to know who visits, sure it's nice to know, but if you look at your blog statistics, the ration of commenters to actual visitors are typically 1 in 10. Do it strictly for the Glory of God and know that the Spirit of God is drawing them nigh, even the ones are silly and want to argue semantics. :-) LOL If you know what I mean. Shalom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan,
    I was at a friend's house yesterday and there were some visitors there. One of them was talking about what you have spoken about, how we can not fully know someone by what we see and hear and sometimes people will say something which is not nice about someone else. I will never judge another by what someone says about them. God is our judge and the only One Who can see one hundred per cent of who we are both inside and out. Knowing this in itself is the greatest thing that helps me to endeavour to learn His ways and change from being sinful.
    God bless you Susan.

    ReplyDelete


Please be as gracious as you would like others to be to you. Thank you :)




Please try to keep your comments on the topic of the post you are commenting on.

If there is a link to an article or podcast, or if there is an embedded video please view these before airing your views on the posting. If you clearly did not watch video/read link I may choose to not respond to it ...particularly if you have a question that is already answered on link or video.

Opposing viewpoints are of course allowed here as long as the conversation remains civil. If it runs on and on and becomes burdensome and repetitive I will probably lock the comments on that posting. Thank you, I hope we can grow together in a true friendship as God would have it. 🙂