Wednesday 12 January 2022

On the Day the Lord Saved Me…

 It was a beautiful spring day in 1988. The sun was shining brightly and the birds seemed delighted that the coldness of that year’s wintery days was behind us. I was busy cleaning up the one room cabin where we (my lover and I) lived, like I did many days before, a day much like any other day.

A knock at the door. I opened the door. There stood our friend/neighbour/landlord. We stood and chatted at the doorway, he outside and I stood but didn’t invite him in.

 He talked a bit about the Bible and the love of Jesus.

I thought: Silly man, I am so much smarter and more evolved than he is. He thinks being spiritual is believing in a book that makes zero sense, while I enjoy all things under the sun and can live as I please and gain wisdom from all religions and peoples.

I made some kind of haughty remark to him, I do not recall exactly what I said but it caused him to respond by saying:

“The Bible tells me that I should shake the dust from my feet (shaking his feet) and should walk away” (as he started to turn away from me)….

…and that instant I knew that the Lord was in it, in this moment in time, and I heard His voice “life or death, choose life” within me and was given the wisdom and the power to say:

“Wait a minute!! I’m not rejecting you!” …saying these words to my neighbour, but actually saying these to Jesus: 

“Do not abandon me, I didn’t really mean it”

My neighbour asked: 

“Do you have a Bible?”

Me: “no”

Neighbour: “If I get you one will you read it?”

Me: “yes”

He quickly turned on his heel and left me there, but soon returned with a brand new Bible for me. He had gone down into town about eleven  miles from the ranch to buy a Bible with money that was very precious to him and his family. They were dirt poor, their children in clean well worn hand me downs and shoes slightly too big for their little feet. He used money that would be better spent on his wife and children to buy me a book that I told him I would read. I knew that I’d better read it.

I began from the beginning: Genesis 

The Israelites. I don’t know why, but all kinds of feelings of disgust for the Israelites was stirred up in me from I didn’t know where. I never felt that for others before; not like that. It disturbed me. I felt horrible as I continued reading and experiencing these vile feelings come up, disgust and disdain for a people I did not even know. What is this? Why am I feeling these things?

I walked to the neighbour’s house. I needed to know if they would know what is wrong with me and why I would feel this way reading this book. He told me to start with the New Testament, not the Old Testament. He explained that I needed to know about God’s grace before learning about the things pertaining to the law.

That night I had very frightening and very vivid dreams.

The first dream: 



A beautiful and very large tree stood strong and tall, it’s branches reaching out very wide. Suddenly a booming voice said: 

“This is God: JUDGMENT!!!”

…and immediately the tree was ripped up out of the ground, roots and all by an invisible force and just as suddenly everything went pitch black.


Image: http://weknowyourdreams.com/tree.html


I awakened and sat upright in bed while taking a deep gasp of air, my heart pounding in my chest. But the moment of panic passed quickly and soon I was back asleep to dream a second dream:




I was in the ocean with my lover. I was drifting further and further out into deeper water. At first I treaded water easily, but it became more and more difficult and I was getting tired. I saw my lover now far away from me. I called out to him but he was too far away to hear me. Suddenly I was under the water, sinking very fast. I could see the top of the water and bits of sunlight penetrating through the surface, but it was retreating up and away from me very fast as I sank, down, down, down, the waters grew darker and heavier…

and I suddenly sat up with a gasp, because I had been holding my breath while under water…

What was happening to me? I told my lover about my dreams. He shook his head and rolled over to go back to sleep. Am I going crazy? What is happening? 

I went back to sleep. A third dream:



I’m laying in bed with my lover next to me. A very large serpent is slithering towards me in the room…closer, closer, I want to scream but I’m not able to, I’m paralyzed like I am in some kind of weird trance…I sensed that it knew me, that as it’s tongue flicked out of its mouth it could taste me, and I saw through his eyes, like I could see what it saw, its eyes saw heat coming from my body…closer, closer…I hear my lover say:

 “Is that a snake?”

“Yes!” I scream as I jump up dancing in fright on the bed “It’s a snake! A snake!”

Now my lover is very annoyed…”What the hell???” 

Me: “ You said is that a snake and I’m saying yes!!” As I look for where it went…

He: “I didn’t say a thing.” …

The next day I continued reading the Bible and I felt miserable. 

“I’m such a horrible person. I am doomed. God hates me. I’m going to hell. I’m going to hell. I’m headed straight to hell”

I’m sobbing, knowing no one can help me; “God help me! God please do not hate me! God please save me! I know I cannot save myself, only You can help me! Please forgive me! You are so far from me, do not give up on me!”

BOOM!!!!

In that moment of crying out to God the cabin shook and I thought “God heard my cries”

It was probably a sonic boom from a jet coming out of nearby Edward’s AFB, but it came at that precise moment of my crying out, that I knew God heard me. “He loves me…He forgives me, He saved me!”

But inside I knew that the battle had just begun, a battle I would fight against forces of evil…. that once were  “friends” but now fought against me…. but God was on my side to help me. He loves me…He forgives me…

”Praise the Lord Who is able to save!!!”

❤️


25 comments:


  1. Your neighbor's prayers were heard too. A simple man whose kids had hand-me-down clothes. A poor man who seemed not as bright, not as worldly wise. A guy. Just a guy. God heard him and God heard you. Also, I don't think that was a sonic boom from the AFB. Just saying.

    Can I link this in my blog? I want to do a post that points people here.

    God bless you, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta ask...about the Israelites, did your feelings about them change after this? ❤️

      Delete
    2. Hi Sandi, yes, at the time I thought it most certainly was the Lord. That neighbour said it was God kicking a$$ on the spirits that had me bound ❤️ and yes, you certainly can link to it. I hope my story can possibly help someone somewhere somehow ❤️

      Delete
    3. Yes, most certainly! I wanted to be Jewish after that, thinking that the best blessings were only stored up for Israel, and that we are Israel when we are saved, having been grafted in. Now I am satisfied that whether my blessings are great or small in comparison to Israel’s blessings, it doesn’t matter…just the fact that He saved me is enough. ❤️

      Delete
    4. When I got saved (1990) I looked around for a church and found a few. But then I miraculously ended up in a Messianic Jewish congregation for believers in Yeshua. It was home for about five years. I know what you mean by grafted in. Me too.

      Delete
    5. I came over from Sandi's blog. Amazing the way God seeks us and finds us and touches us when/where we least expect it. I am your newest follower. Diana

      Delete
    6. Hi Diana, thank you, yes, I should have dies that day, and in fact I did die that day. That “old me” stopped existing that day. 🙂

      Delete
    7. should have *died…love that spellchecker lol

      Delete
  2. Glory to God! Thank you for telling your amazing story - His story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gretchen, thank you and bless you! Yes, it is His story indeed! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. So interesting... Yes We wrestle not against Flesh and Blood ...but the power of Darkness.... But if God be for us....who can stand against us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A powerful and amazing testimony. :)
    I'm over here from Sandi's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm here from Sandi's blog. What an amazing testimony of God's love and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bev, yes we are wrestling and fighting the good fight but we know the battle is already won ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Happyone,nthankbyou and zGod bless you ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mari, thank you and God’s love and grace are never ending ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. Visiting from Sandi's blog...and rejoicing in your salvation. God is with you..."Emmanuel"...and may He continue to guide you and give you His peace as you grow in Christ through His Word. Praise God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pamela, thank you, the Lord has been with me through many trials ☺️God bless you

      Delete
  11. This is a lovely testimony Susan, and certainly one to be shared. The scriptures tell us that we overcome the spiritual enemy by the blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony, and this is so true. God bless you for sharing. The Lord speaks to us many times through dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda, thank you, I had not ever gone into this much detail about that day, and after putting it up I felt awful because many of the things I mention brought up all those feelings and the thoughts I had at the time. I feel dirty and unworthy but I know Jesus is worthy, and His blood washed and washes me clean. Thank you for your thoughtful comments. ❤️

      Delete
  12. There are many people who feel the same, as I did when I first came to the Lord, and that is why they need the comfort of your testimony to begin to change their life. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Susan- Hey- I can't seem to get your blog on my sidebar. Do yo have an email you would share with me so I can contact you directly. I promise not to spam you. lol
    My email is dianakos1@gmail.com
    Thanks- Hope you have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete


Please be as gracious as you would like others to be to you. Thank you :)




Please try to keep your comments on the topic of the post you are commenting on.

If there is a link to an article or podcast, or if there is an embedded video please view these before airing your views on the posting. If you clearly did not watch video/read link I may choose to not respond to it ...particularly if you have a question that is already answered on link or video.

Opposing viewpoints are of course allowed here as long as the conversation remains civil. If it runs on and on and becomes burdensome and repetitive I will probably lock the comments on that posting. Thank you, I hope we can grow together in a true friendship as God would have it. 🙂